The Journey of Reunion-An adoptee's story

I am a 25 year old adoptee in reunion with my birth parents for less than a year. I focus on the reunion itself, the feelings that it has caused, and a look at the highs,lows and in between!

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Another birthday...

It's April 2nd and my 26th birthday is officially tomorrow. For some reason around my birthday I always start to reminisce or think about the things that I haven't accomplished yet.(eg: getting married, having kids, buying a house) This birthday is an interesting one because it's the anniversary that I found my birth mom. I remember last year exactly at this time, I had written my birthmom my first letter, and sent it to her work e-mail, March 31rst. I hadn't heard anything back for a couple of days, and I felt scared, anxious, nervous and guilty. Scared, anxious and nervous because I thought she wouldn't want anything to do with me. Guilty, because of the search itself, and my aparents had no idea what I was doing

That Saturday night, I went out to eat with my aparents and the whole time I kept thinking about my birthmom. Wondering what she thinking, if she would write and what she was doing. Tonight, was no exception. On a lighter note, I had a great night with my aparents, my boyfriend Chris and my aunt and uncle. We went out to Benihana's where they cook all the food in front of you and flip it up in the air for entertainment. For some reason lately I have been thinking about my birth parents constantly. You would think after a year it might settle down, right? Well it definitely comes in waves and I have noticed myself wishing I could be around them during holidays mostly. Chuck-daddy said he sent me a present in the mail which I thought was really sweet. I was surprised being a guy that he thought to send me something. I honestly thought he would forget, so I feel special he remembered me! We used to talk weekly on the phone, and now I haven't talked to him on the phone since January. We e-mail 3-4 times a week, which I think is a lot so for the most part I feel secure, but I just miss him and wish he was sharing my birthday with me. Since he was there on my very first birthday it seems appropriate. I really feel like he's my family. We have a special song, "My girl" and there was a wedding reception going on tonight and they played that song. I felt like for some reason it was a sign. I'm not sure what the sign was, but it just made me miss him and think about him and how much I appreciate him in my life. He really is an amazing person and we have a wonderful connection that I would honestly be lost without.

As many of you know my aparents are in town, and my amom came to clean my apartment for the week, because it wasn't the way she liked it. She is very obsessive compulsive to say the least. I must say, it is nice but I know it's going to be impossible to maintain the way she has it. I almost cried today and this is absolutely ridiculous I know-- but she was going through all my stuff. My birthmom had given me a bouquet of flowers the first time we met and around the vase she had these cute multi colored ribbons. I liked it because it reminded me of how artistic and creative she was. I kept them around the vase because I wanted to keep everything she gave me. My amom threw the ribbons away. I know it's a really trivial thing, but to me it was a memory. Something tangible that I had in my house to remind me of my birth mom. I got really upset, but I couldn't tell my amom why and just acted like it was no big deal but I felt really sad. I guess this birthday go around is the same as last year, because now I am hoping my birth mom will acknowledge the day. After all, she did last year so I am hoping she will at least send me a quick e-mail letting me know she's thinking of me. I just know how I am and if I don't hear from her I will be sad. I'm scared I will not. When will this feeling of insecurity go away? I wish I didn't have it, but I need so much reassurance. I have many more thoughts especially since I haven't written all week, but it's getting late and it's daylight savings time so I better get in bed. All in all I survived the visit with minor annoyances here and there. I would say not having to do any laundry tomorrow could be worth some of the annoying lectures I got this week. More to come tomorrow.

7 Comments:

Blogger suz said...

oh, stacy, your posts always make me cry. i know we have said it before but on my side, i know that insecurity, that fear, that desire, that sadness, that wantingness (is that a word?).

i find myself wonderng if my daughter feels any of this. does she save anything i send her? does she throw it away? does she want more or less contact? i would do anything for her but since i dont know..i just go with the flow.

this weekend i packaged up a small easter parcel for her. nothing much. just a card. some chocolate. some jewelry i made. a letter i wrote. and some window clings (ha ha) for her dorm (juvenile, but sent to amuse her).

biggest thing i crave right now? FEEDBACK. some idea of where she is at and what she is feeling. so sense of what i should do or not do.

silence is not golden.

thanks for your posts. continue to love them.

7:22 AM  
Blogger suz said...

oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY

7:22 AM  
Blogger stacy said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes. To me, I think you should be totally honest with your daughter and maybe she will feel more inclined and more comfortable to be honest with you.

12:55 PM  
Blogger suz said...

Oh, I have been honest but I have not asked for things, have not pushed, have not come out and asked why she doesnt write, or ask or whatever. Thats rude and pushy, no? I am afraid to scare her off or make her angry or, or, or.

3:33 PM  
Blogger stacy said...

Yah I know what you mean. It's a very fine line. Have you asked her about her feelings? I mean that's not being pushy and that way she couldn't really get defensive. I have the same problem. I do think asking WHY she doesn't write could freak her out. It's just a shame we all have to walk on egg shells. It's frustrating!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Laurie (formerly known as Momseekingpeace) said...

I have been reading your blog and I love what you write, I am a reunited mother.
The way you write about your ndad is so sweet, I can only hope my son feels that kind of affection.

My first thought when you wrote about whether or not she will think about you on your birthday was...well of course, this comes from knowing how impossible it is not to think about my son on his.
Thank you for your writings.

7:53 PM  
Blogger HeatherRainbow said...

Happy birthday, and happy anniversary to your reunion. :)

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home