The Journey of Reunion-An adoptee's story

I am a 25 year old adoptee in reunion with my birth parents for less than a year. I focus on the reunion itself, the feelings that it has caused, and a look at the highs,lows and in between!

Saturday, March 18, 2006

The pink elephant in the room

Obesity, homosexuality, retardation, are all qualities that some people would say, "They are different" I am using that term very loosely here. I, not being a super skinny woman myself can understand the obesity judgement and not fitting into the mainstream of society. The reason I started thinking about all of this today was because a family member came out of the closet today. I have no problem with this whatsoever because I try my best to be accepting and as open minded as possible. I think diversity is what makes this world go round today and actually makes it more interesting. If we were all the same, we would get bored. Although there will always be stereotypes and judgements - that's just human nature, I try my best to listen with a whole heart and not pass a negative judgement agaisnt someone just because they choose to live an alternative lifestyle. So, all of this got me thinking which I have done a lot of lately. Adoption is very similar except in some cases it can be worse because of the "taboo" that is placed on closed adoption as if it didn't happen. Gay people have a choice of coming out of the closet and living a certain lifestyle with their partners openly and honestly. I'm not saying it's easy, and I could never say I understand, but once they come out, there is really no way to ignore it. They do have a choice to come out or not. They could hide behind a facade if they choose to, but once they come out it's OUT THERE. Now, in my case I'm adopted...everyone KNOWS I'm adopted, but they sorta choose to ignore this little fact. On all sides of the triad, except Chuck-daddy everyone chooses to ignore this maybe not ignore but avoid. Why? I feel like my real life deep down is hidden. Obesity you can't hide, mental retardation you can't hide, a gay lifestyle you can't hide unless you choose not to come out, but adoption is like this pink elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about. For instance, at X-mas time my family and I were watching the news and a story about adoption came on. I felt very awkward and frozen as if I didn't know what to say. If we had been open about talking about this subject my whole life I'd feel like its something nice to relate to. Or another example both of my birth parents went to Iowa state, and there was an Iowa state football game on, but there was no mention of them even though my adopted parents knew that is where they went to school. I feel like if my parents had been open with me from the very start and talked about my birth family, my life would have been so much easier to deal with. It would be so much easier to talk about things- everything. Sex, drugs, friends, life in general. I'm not saying I agree with open adoption, I don't really know what I agree with. I think adoption is just confusing for everyone. It just seems as if in most families it's this taboo thing, and I don't really understand why it has to be. It's obvious my adopted mother didn't give birth to me. It's obvious I do not look like my parents. Why is it so hard to talk about? So, I guess for me it's like I am a closested gay person wanting to be acknowledged for who I really am. I know I'm adopted, but am not allowed to talk about my feelings for fear of hurting my parents and I will be closeted my whole life.

5 Comments:

Blogger suz said...

amazing stacey. GMTA for sure.

i also have used the exact same analogy about first moms. coming out of the closet.

I celebrated my 20 year HS reunion this past year. I actually put the fact that I lost my daughter to adoption AND found her in the update bulletin. I was never the type to hide her existence..but others around me were. She was never talked about openly, everyone thought they were "sparing" my feelings. Truth is, they were protecting their own. Those that know me well, know I talk about her proudly with anyone.

That is sadly not true for all members of her biological family and it makes me very angry and sad even still today.

Yup, definitely out of the birth mom closet here.

Congrats to your family member for their own coming out!

4:36 PM  
Blogger stacy said...

You are a wonderful person for being proud of your daughter! I really wish my birthmom was. Sometimes I wish I could just tell her that she can ignore the fact I'm her daughter I would settle for friends....anything. I just want to know her and her know me. What I don't get is why is not talking about your daughter protecting you? All it's doing is pushing what happened away and avoiding it, but its still there. NOT talking about it, doesn't make it go away.

11:59 PM  
Blogger suz said...

as usual, i totally agree with you on a number of points.

I have no intent or expectation that I am going to be her "mother". I just want to be her friend. She is so cool, so amazing, etc. I want to know her, experience her, have her feel comfortable to talk with me, ask me for things, just be open, whole, connected.

The not talking about it? I think my family has alot of their own guilt about how they handled things, did not support me, judged me, called me names, fell prey to religious and social norms and they dont know how to handle their own guilt and shame. So if they dont talk about it, its not there, right? WRONG!

They see my pain and they know they were part of it of the root cause. Lets just turn the other cheek and do the happy dance, k? No, not okay.

My mother was very happy when I found my daughter but she said of the stupidest and most insensitive things. Its beyond explanation. At this point, I rarely share my excitement about my daughter with my mom. She is sure to rain on my parade with something and cruel.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Amyadoptee said...

I know what you feel Stacy. I have a birthmom that won't even acknowledge that I exist period. She is just happy that I am alive. She doesn't want contact at all at least for the time being. My own adoptive mom feels that she will change her mind. My mom has always been hopeful about things like that. Me I have gotten very cynical over the years. I am still searching though. I have to because I have a father and a sister that want to know me.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Ivan said...

Unless any of you have actually come out, would all of you people please stop comparing it to adoption-related feelings? The two issues are NOT similar AT ALL. This is an interesting blog but I cannot tell you how annoying I found this post and its comments.

Being gay is a fundamental thing about oneself. Being adopted, or having given up a child for adoption, is not. I'm sure the latter can be very traumatic and everything, but is it worse than a loved one's death? I would hope not, because the child is still alive. Therefore, it's within the boundaries of the pain that everyone experiences in their life. Get your feelings off your chest if you want, but don't compare them to situations that you evidently know nothing about.

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home